Effective Teaching with Principles to Actions: Implementing College- and Career-Readiness Standards
is the nonnegotiable core that ensures all students learn mathematics at high
Join us February 5-6, 2016 in Dallas, TX to engage in research-informed actions and productive practices and policies that are essential in successful Pre-K-12 mathematics programs. This NCTM institute is based on Principles to Actions: Ensuring Mathematical Success for All and participants will:
- use Principles to Actions as a framework for implementing college- and career-ready standards in the classroom;
- increase knowledge of mathematics content and learning progressions inherent in a high-quality mathematics program;
- model ways to plan and implement effective instruction
- consider the importance of access and equity in implementing high-quality standards in the classroom, school, and district.
- gain classroom-ready strategies with the potential to transform teaching practices to meet rigorous standards.
Illustrating the Mathematical Practices
Ready-to-use professional development materials, designed by NCSM, to develop teachers’ understanding of the Standards for Mathematical Practice and implementation strategies for their classrooms. Each module supports a 1.5- to 3-hour session that focuses on one or two of the mathematical practices and is:
- Anchored by a high demand mathematics task
- Situated in classroom practice, with classroom video and/or samples of student work
- Presented in PowerPoint format with slide annotations on the Notes pages to support facilitation
- Designed to be used individually or in combination with other modules.
Webinars to Enhance your Leadership Work
The Common Core State Standards for
Mathematics are the focus of many of these archived webinars
from NCSM for mathematics education leaders.
Webinars are one-hour long and include:
- New Resources for Illustrating the Mathematical Practices
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics: The CCSS Curriculum Materials Analysis Tools
- Deeper Diver Into the Common Core State Standards: Leading with the Mathematical Practices
- Getting Started with the Common Core State Standards: First Steps for Mathematics Education Leaders
Implementing the Common Core e-Seminars
E-seminars ANYTIME are complete bundles of materials, including handouts, a video recording, and a facilitator guide to lead an entire group in an online professional development session. NCTM offers grade-band specific e-seminars on implementing the CCSS using NCTM’s resources.
Administrator's Guide: How to Interpret the Common Core State Standards to Improve Mathematics Education, from NCTM, assists school and district leaders in understanding the past decade's many recommendations, with special emphasis on the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. Focusing on similarities between these new standards and those outlined in NCTM's influential Principles and Standards for School Mathematics, efficiently highlights reasoning processes that are essential in any high-quality mathematics program. Students who know these processes are set to "do math" in any context, real or abstract.
Includes answers to "Frequently
Asked Questions" and detailed lists of resources to support school
A report outlining nine recommendations to support large-scale, system-level implementation of professional development initiatives aligned with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. The design recommendations span creating, sustaining, and assessing professional development systems for practicing mathematics teachers and were generated from the coordination of research-based knowledge in different but related fields. The recommendations are built on state-of-the-art research findings from mathematics education, professional development, organizational theory, and policy.