1. Set standards for the acceptance of materials for publication.
2. Define the process for receipt, refereeing, acceptance, and publication of articles; and evaluate and categorize articles approved by referees.
3. Approve the process for recruiting referees and the list of those selected.
4. Define the general format and balance of material in the journal, including the nature and number of departments, and initiate any studies needed to make the journal more useful.
5. Advise the executive director in defining the duties of the journal editorial staff.
6. Select department editors and define their duties and terms.
7. Work with the journal editorial staff to develop procedures for processing materials and maintaining records.
8. Prepare an annual report for the Board of Directors, formulate a budget request for the editorial panel, and review budget requests for the journal.