IMPORTANT: A high-resolution, press-ready PDF file with all fonts and images embedded is required for four-color or black and white digital advertisements. Please view pdf-x for additional information on preparing PDF's.
For further instructions on how to prepare and submit your digital advertisement, or to view a list of alternative file formats, please continue reading.
- Ad materials may be supplied on CD or DVD disks. Disks must be labeled with the publication and issue date of the ad to be placed and accompanied by an insertion order, including the advertiser's contact information. For details, see Ad Transfer.
- Email a press-ready PDF to email@example.com.
- Mailing address is:
Attn: Advertising Dept.
1906 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191-1502
Native applications (Macintosh only)
- Quark XPress, Adobe: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, or call to discuss additional options.
- Ad materials in native applications should be saved as high-resolution, press-ready PDF files for ad transfer.
- All fonts must be embedded, converted to outlines, or provided if native application files are submitted (Macintosh only).
- Images must be a minimum of 300 ppi (pixels per inch) and CMYK, grayscale, or bitmap.
- Files containing RGB or LAB images will not be accepted.
- For optimal quality the effective resolution for continuous tone images should not be less than 300 ppi, nor greater than 400 ppi. Bitmap images should not be less than 400 ppi, nor greater than 1200 ppi.
- Use the following formula to calculate effective resolution:
Resolution (ppi) divided by the Percentage Enlarged
Example: A 300-ppi image enlarged to 175% in a layout application, such as Quark, will have an effective resolution of 171 ppi (300 ÷ 1.75 = 171 effective ppi).
- All colors must be 4-color process (CMYK) or grayscale.
- 2-color ads and Pantone colors must be set to 4-color process (CMYK).
- Rich black is recommended at 40-C, 30-M, 30-Y, 100-K.
- Total 4-color process should not exceed 300% (C%+M%+Y%+K%).
- All advertisements must be submitted with an acceptable proof (Matchprint, Iris, etc.) whether black/white or color. The proof must be at 100% of the ad size.
- If an acceptable color proof is not provided and production problems occur, a proof may be created and billed to the client or agency at NCTM's prevailing rates. Advertisements supplied without a SWOP-certified color proof will be printed to SWOP standards (Specific Web Offset Publications). Please visit swop.org for additional information of certified proofing and printing standards.
- NCTM and its Printers cannot be held liable for color complaints when an advertisement is submitted without an acceptable color proof.
- Requested alterations or advertisements requiring modifications to meet publication specifications will be advised and if approved, billed at NCTM prevailing production rates.
Ad Transfer and Documentation
- IMPORTANT: All ad materials must be labeled with the publication and issue date of the ad be placed and accompanied by an insertion order, including the advertiser's contact information.
- Supply one disk for each different publication (for example, if the ad runs in three different journals, send three disks, one for each journal). Supply only one ad on each disk and only the ad to be run — do not next files or include multiple ad versions.
- Supply a proof copy of your ad (whether black/white or color) at 100% of the ad size (see Ad Proofs).
Contact our Sales Department
Advertising, Exhibitor Workshops & Sponsorships:
Liz Barrett, National Sales Manager, The Townsend Group
Phone: 301-215-6710 Ext. 114
Exhibit Booth Sales:
Kim Kelemen, National Sales Manager, The Townsend Group
Phone: 301-215-6710 Ext. 103