Updated September 2012
This page states the terms and conditions by which you may use the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) websites. These terms and conditions govern all sites with a root URL ending in nctm.org, except for the following websites that state different terms and conditions governing use of those sites:
Please read these terms carefully. If you do not agree with these terms, do not use these websites.
The terms "you" and "user" as used herein refer to all individuals and/or entities accessing an NCTM website for any reason. The terms "we" and "Council" as used herein refer to NCTM, including our agents and employees.
NCTM websites are collective works or compilations owned and operated by NCTM. All materials on these sites–text, graphics, logos (including the NCTM logo), button icons, images, applets, video and audio clips, and software–are the property of NCTM or its content suppliers. Each and every page is protected by U.S. and international copyright, trademark, and other laws.
NCTM websites present a variety of viewpoints. The views expressed or implied on NCTM websites, unless otherwise noted, should not be interpreted as official positions of the Council.
Use of This Site
The following outlines acceptable and unacceptable uses of NCTM websites:
- You may use email addresses on NCTM websites for personal, non-commercial use. Use of these email addresses for any other purpose is strictly prohibited.
- Modifying materials or copying HTML code from NCTM websites is a violation of NCTM's copyright and other proprietary rights.
- You may not use NCTM websites in any manner that will infringe the copyright, trademark, trade secret, or other intellectual property rights of others or violate the privacy, publicity, or personal rights of others.
- You may not use NCTM websites to post, transmit, distribute, store, or destroy material in violation of any applicable law, regulation or term of use.
- You may not use NCTM websites to post or transmit material that is sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, threatening, abusive, or hateful.
NCTM's logo is a registered trademark of NCTM. The logo is protected by law and may not be used without NCTM's express written permission. NCTM retains the exclusive right to grant or refuse permission to use its logo. For more information on NCTM's logo policy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Logos and Brand Names
Logos and brand names displayed on NCTM websites are the exclusive intellectual property of their respective owners. These items are licensed to NCTM but remain the property of their respective owners.
Accuracy of Information
While all reasonable attempts have been made to ensure the accuracy of information on NCTM websites, neither NCTM nor its information contributors can be held responsible for any errors, inaccuracies, or incomplete information contained therein. NCTM reserves the right to correct, change, or update any information on these sites at any time without prior notice.
NCTM displays ads for its own programs and products on NCTM websites. In addition, NCTM accepts paid banner advertising on selected pages of these websites and paid listings in Online Classifieds. The presence of an ad or listing does not constitute an endorsement by NCTM of a particular company or organization, nor of its programs, products, or services.
You use NCTM websites at your own risk. The materials on these websites are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied. To the fullest extent permissible, pursuant to applicable law, NCTM and its affiliates disclaim all warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and of accuracy of informational content. NCTM does not warrant that the functions contained in these websites will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that these websites or the server that makes them available are free of viruses or other harmful components.
Use Outside of the United States
NCTM makes no representation or warranty that these websites or the information contained therein may be lawfully accessed, transmitted, viewed, downloaded, or otherwise used outside of the United States. Any user accessing the websites from outside the United States does so at his or her own risk and is solely responsible for compliance with the laws of the jurisdiction from which access is made.
Information on NCTM websites may contain references or cross references to NCTM products, programs, and services that are not announced or available in your country. Such references do not imply that NCTM intends to announce such products, programs, or services in your country.
NCTM makes no representations whatsoever about any other website that you may access through an NCTM website. When you access an external website, please understand that it is independent from NCTM, and that NCTM has no control over the availability of or content on that website.
A link to an external website does not mean that NCTM endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of that website. It is up to you to take precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use is free of such items as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other items of a destructive nature.
Companies or institutions may link to complete public pages of NCTM websites for educational purposes. Links to individual images, applets, or other content are prohibited. Links to NCTM pages may not open a framed page, i.e., the link must open a window that is occupied solely by the NCTM page and that occupies the entire browser page, without framing by the linking website. Use of images from NCTM websites to create buttons or to highlight links to NCTM is strictly prohibited.
Groups or persons who link to the NCTM websites without clear evidence of instructional or educational intent will be directed to remove the link. NCTM reserves the right to request removal of any link it deems offensive or inappropriate, at any time. For complete guidelines regarding link requests, contact email@example.com.
Using screen shots of pages from NCTM websites on other websites is strictly prohibited, without written permission from NCTM. However, NCTM encourages use of screen shots of the home page or front pages of major sections of NCTM websites for nonprofit educational purposes. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for complete guidelines on requesting use of screen shots of NCTM websites.
You are prohibited from violating or attempting to violate the security of these websites. You may not:
- Access data not intended for you or log into a server or account that you are not authorized to access;
- Attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization;
- Attempt to interfere with service to any user, host, or network, including, without limitation, submitting a virus to NCTM websites, overloading, "flooding," "spamming," "mail bombing," or "crashing";
- Send unsolicited email, including promotions or advertising of products or services, to email addresses accessed through the sites;
- Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting;
- Use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of NCTM websites or any activity conducted on these sites; or
- Use or attempt to use any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including, without limitation, browsers, spiders, robots, avatars, or intelligent agents) to navigate through or search these websites.
Any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on NCTM infrastructure is prohibited.
Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. NCTM will investigate such violations and may involve and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting users who are involved in such violations.
Termination of Use