The NCTM Board of Directors has the responsibility for setting direction, establishing policy, and overseeing the activities of the Council.
Terms of Office: Directors shall serve for a term of three years or until a successor is installed. They shall be eligible for reelection but shall not serve for more than two consecutive terms.
Duties of the Directors:
- Directors will be involved in various NCTM meetings as speakers or presiders and as representatives of the Board of Directors.
- Directors may serve on at least one major committee while on the Board of Directors and must be willing to serve on other committees or task forces when requested by the president.
- Directors will be responsible for the preparation of material for presentations at Board meetings, as designated by the president.
- Directors will make recommendations for committee assignments and particularly be on the lookout for new talent in their regions and at their level.
- Directors will attend all Board meetings, some of which are held on school days. There are at least four Board meetings annually. There is a minimum time commitment of 20 school days annually plus additional days on weekends and in summer. This includes Board, committee, and regional meetings as assigned. The NCTM will reimburse school districts, if necessary, for the use of substitutes. In addition, NCTM will reimburse the director for expenses incurred for travel, lodging, and food for business that is commissioned by the president.
Support Package: A support package will be provided to the home schools or districts of classroom teachers serving on the NCTM Board of Directors. This package includes:
- Reimbursement of all substitute teacher costs when the Board member engages in the work of the Council
- An annual grant of $1,000 to the home school of the Board member
- A total of four (4) complimentary registrations each year for any NCTM professional development program, such as the NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition, the NCTM Regional Conferences, or NCTM Interactive Institutes
- Complimentary copies of newly-published NCTM books
- News releases about the Board member and his or her home district
- A plaque recognizing the home school’s support of the Board member (at the conclusion of the Board member’s term)
*For the purposes of Board nominations, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics defines "classroom teacher" in the following ways:
- A middle/junior high school or high school classroom teacher is an individual who spends half or more of his or her work time teaching in middle/junior high or high school respectively.
- An elementary classroom teacher is an individual who teaches elementary school mathematics or who works with students in an elementary classroom while collaborating with, teaching with, or supporting elementary school mathematics teachers.
Qualifications: NCTM bylaws require that a nominee for director must—
- have been a member of the Council continuously during the preceding three years;
- have professional and leadership experience in one or more of the following:
- on a major committee of the Council;
- in another leadership role in the Council; or
- in a leadership role in an Affiliate (evidence of leadership at local, state, or provincial or national level).
The Nominations and Elections Committee presents to the membership a slate of candidates.
The selection process
- is guided by evidence of leadership, vision, and collaboration; commitment to mathematics education; and a wide range of experiences;
is governed by the NCTM bylaws, which require balance on the Board across levels (elementary classroom teacher, middle/junior classroom teacher, high school classroom teacher, and college or university faculty) and geographic regions.
is guided by NCTM’s commitment to equity.
Application Procedures for Board of Directors
To be considered for the slate of the 2015 NCTM Board of Directors election:
- Complete and submit the Online Nomination Form - available January 15, 2015.
- Complete the NCTM Board of Directors application form.
- Email the completed application form as an attachment to current Nominations and Elections Committee chair.
Applications must be received by the designated deadline.