Move beyond the mathematics you expect your students to learn. Students who fail to get a solid grounding in pivotal concepts struggle in subsequent work in mathematics and related disciplines. By bringing deeper understanding to your teaching, you can help students who don’t get it the first time by presenting mathematics in multiple ways.
The Essential Understanding series addresses topics crucial to student development but often difficult to teach. Each book in the series (sixteen titles planned) gives an overview of the topic, highlights the differences between what teachers and students need to know, examines the big ideas and related essential understandings, reconsiders the ideas presented in light of connections with other mathematical ideas, and includes questions for readers’ reflection.
Future topics include the following:
• Geometry for Pre-K–Grade 2
• Geometric Shapes and Solids for Grades 3-5
• Geometry for Grades 6-8
• Data Analysis and Statistics for Grades 6-8
• Geometric Relationships for Grades 9-12
• Reasoning and Proof for Grades 9-12
• Statistics for Grades 9-12