Number and Operations: Be Radical and Get Real!
Learn ↔ Reflect Strand
Thursday, November 7
NCTM’s Regional Conference features a Learn ↔ Reflect Strand that allows participants to dedicate a full day to the Focus of the Year topic, Number and Operations: Be Radical and Get Real!
We invite all conference attendees to participate in these presentations, marked in program books with the symbol . Start your day with the morning Kickoff session, and then choose from a variety of presentations throughout the day focused on number and operations for each grade band. The day culminates in a Reflection session, a facilitated discussion based on a set of reflection questions distributed at the Kickoff.
Learn More about This Strand
Start your day with the morning Kickoff session to build the foundation for your full day of focused learning.
Identifying and Building Common Core Fluencies for Mathematics
Thursday, November 7, 9:30 a.m.–10:30 a.m.
Learn about the latest resources from NCSM that support powerful and radical actions to implement number and operations. Resources include example mathematical tasks, research, leadership tips, position papers, instruction that promotes students' proficiency in mathematical practices, and formative assessment examples.
back to top
End your day with a Reflection session at 3:30 p.m., where you’ll discuss the day’s learning in the context of the following reflection questions:
- What is number sense, and how can you promote the development of number sense in your students? How are fluency and understanding related in the context of number and operations?
- How can instructional decisions facilitate the development of strategies that are meaningful and transferable for operations on all numbers?
- How are equity and diversity promoted by developing conceptual understanding of number?
- How are you thinking differently about your learning and teaching of number and operations as a result of participating in the Learn ↔ Reflect sessions?
back to top
Why Number and Operations?
The intent of NCTM’s yearlong focus on Number and Operations is to help teachers, school leaders, and teacher educators expand their view of the foundational role of number and to demonstrate the importance of developing all students’ understanding of and ability to use number. This focus supports effective mathematics teaching, enhances mathematics learning, and helps students to navigate a world where an understanding of number is crucial. Students who are provided with the opportunity to investigate number and operations deeply are able to model and solve complex problems, work at higher levels of generalization, and be more logical in their decision making. This is the premise of a comprehensive and equitable mathematics education program.
back to top
The Regional Conference program offers a variety of presentations that integrate reasoning and proof into classroom learning, including those presentations that make up this strand. Find the number and operations presentations that meet your needs:
- Check out all the Learn↔Reflect presentations and the complete strand schedule.
- Search the Online Conference Planner for number and operations presentations. Search by speaker, grade level, or key words such as number, operations, or number sense.
Presentation information and the Online Conference Planner will be available May 1.
back to top