What strategies contribute to effective formative assessment?
Looking separately at the roles of the teacher, the students, and the students’ peers, we find that research suggests that effective assessment can be based on the following five “key strategies”:
- Clarifying, sharing, and understanding what students are expected to know
- Creating effective classroom discussions, questions, activities, and
tasks that offer the right type of evidence of how students are
progressing to the espoused learning goals
- Providing feedback that moves learning forward
- Encouraging students to take ownership of their own learning
- Using students as learning resources for one another
Research supporting this clip is available in the Formative Assessment Key Strategies Brief.