Development and Production of Materials
Endorsement of Materials Developed by Others
All projects and publications of NCTM and the endorsement of other materials by NCTM are expected to address a range of issues associated with equity and diversity in mathematics education. Groups involved in the development or production of materials bearing the name NCTM should ensure that--
- historically underrepresented groups are included in the conceptual development, planning, and implementation of the proposed project or publication;
- the language used to frame, describe, and address diverse populations does not treat groups as having deficits and problems;
- clear, specific statements supporting equity and diversity are integral to the document;
- the philosophies and beliefs expressed by other entities requesting NCTM endorsement are compatible with NCTM's "Mathematics for All" statement;
- attention is given to the accomplishments and models stemming from underrepresented groups;
- projects and publications are free of stereotyping and bias;
- visual images used in publications are free of stereotyping and are representative of the diverse populations of the country;
- those responsible for the endorsement of materials are representative of diverse populations;
- messages about the need to improve mathematics education for underrepresented groups communicate that such efforts improve mathematics education for everyone;
- ideas communicated about mathematics, mathematics assessment, and pedagogy are sensitive to the cultural differences and perspectives of diverse populations; and
- all products and materials are submitted for an equity review both internally* and externally**.
These guidelines should be distributed to all NCTM committees, departments, and management staff.
*Internal means within the committee or department producing the product or material.
**External means another committee or department in NCTM, an NCTM Affiliated Group, or a group or individual outside NCTM.