Real World Math is a collection of previously published articles from Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School and Mathematics Teacher that make strong connections between mathematics and other disciplines. The articles contain activities, experiments, investigations, or problems that are appropriate for use with middle school or high school students. Many of the articles can be adapted for use with students at different grade levels or in different kinds of courses.
Each article in Real World Math is accompanied by the essential tools to implement interdisciplinary lessons in your classroom:
- Lesson plans help you structure lessons including objectives, a materials list, instructional plans, probing questions, and reflections for the teacher.
- Activity sheets can be edited or reproduced as they are for classroom use. Web links are provided to help you and your students access information and tools needed to reach learning objectives.
- Applets supplement some articles, allowing students to actively explore concepts using technology.
The Worlds are divided into subcategories for greater detail:
The Biological World
- Human Physiology and Health
The Physical World
- Physics, Optics, and Projectile Motion
The Social World
- Sports and Games
- Networks and Transportation
The Political World
The Financial World
The Creative and Artistic World
The Constructed World