Callie should dig at (15,13) to find the treasure.
Extra: Stump locations that would make the map impossible are (6,4), (7,5), (8,6), and so on. Any location such that the slope between the location and the rock is 1 will make the map useless.
If your answer doesn't match ours,
- did you realize that the line you need to walk is the perpendicular bisector of the segment joining the rock and the old stump ?
- did you think about the slope of the line from the waterfall to the buried treasure?
- did you find the equations of the two lines that intersect at the buried treasure?
- did you find the common solution for those two linear equations?
- did you check your math?
If your answer does match ours,
- is your explanation clear and complete? Will someone reading it fully understand how you came up with your answers?
- did you make any mistakes along the way? If so, how did you find and fix them?
- are there any hints that you would give another student?
- did you have an "Aha!" moment? If so, describe it.
- did you try the Extra?