Affiliate Leader Forum

• Welcome to the Affiliate Leaders Discussion Forum. 

Use this forum to share ideas, engage the community,  and share documents. 

To access the forum, log in to My NCTM. Access is limited to affiliate leaders and members of the NCTM Board. If you have questions regarding access, please contact the NCTM Affiliate Services department.

• RSS Feed Print Category View
    Welcome and Introductions
    Shawn_1
    Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016

Welcome to the Affiliate leaders discussion forum!

At long last, we have a space on the NCTM website for affiliate leaders to engage in discussion and share ideas.   Affiliate leaders have been asking for this discussion board for a long time and  I'm energized and excited at the possibilities that this forum opens up for us as affiliate leaders to share ideas and work together to achieve NCTM's Mission to support teachers to ensure equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students through vision, leadership, professional development, and research. 

Let's kick this off with introductions!   Where are you from?  What is your role?  What is one thing that your affiliate does that you are most proud of?

If you are on facebook, you can look for "NCTM Affiliate Leaders."  This page was an outgrowth of conversation at the Chicago Affiliate Leaders' Conference where Devan Lewis took the lead to set it up.  

Wishing you all the best,

Shawn Towle,

Affiliate Relations Committee

Chair 2015-2016

Shawn_1
    Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016

I am Shawn Towle and I am a past-president of the Association of Teachers of Mathematics in Maine (ATOMIM) as well as the outgoing chair of the Affiliate Relations Committee.

I am most proud of the ongoing professional learning my home affiliate (ATOMIM) provides to members via our dine and discuss offerings and our book groups.  I love that they are delivered in ways that are equitable throughout our state with our challenge of geography/distance for many of our members.    Each round of these events get better and better and I'm really excited that we are engaging many new leaders in positions on our board.  We are in the capable hands of Darlene Ulrickson as President.  She is leading some great work for engaging Maine teachers in professional learning.

The current offering is a two part series on formative assessment.  I'm so proud to be part of such a wonderful organization!

https://atomim.wildapricot.org/

Shawn

Deborah_1
    Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016

I am Debbie Crocker.  I am the NCTM Representative for the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics.  I have served as president of our state organization and in other capacities as well.  

Our annual conference is one thing I am proud of for our affiliate.  We have over 2000 attendees each year.  The conference is October 27-28, 2016. 

Barbara_19
    Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I am Barbara Boschmans. I am the NCTM representative for the Arizona Association of Teachers of Mathematics. I live in Flagstaff, AZ at 7000 ft (not the typical AZ you might be thinking of).

AATM has grown its membership and annual conference. I am proud to be a board member and that we're trying to get away from an affiliate that sends newsletters and hosts an annual conference towards a year-long active affiliate that will offers something for its members once per month!

Scot_1
    Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2016

Hello,

Scot Acre here... I am the president of the Detroit Area Council of Teachers of Mathematics and an NCTM membership committee member. I am most proud of promoting a mathematics community to our members.

Anonymous
    Posted: Friday, May 6, 2016
    Hi, this is Jill Sumerlin, Western 2 Affiliate Relations Committee.  I am from Tillamook Oregon and am excited that we have this forum!
    Jeremy_4
    Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016

Hello everyone!  I am Jeremy Zelkowski, the new affiliate relations committee chair for 2016-2018 and represent the southern 2 region (Alabama to Texas, Tenn to Oklahoma).

Joanie_3

Hi, I'm Joanie Funderburk, President of the Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and Western 1 Region Representative on the Affiliate Relations Committee. CCTM has an award winning publication, Colorado Mathematics Teacher, of which we are really proud! It is also free for anyone to access, so check it out here: http://www.cctmath.org/cmtjournal/
    Kathleen_24

Hi!!  My name is Taffy McAneny. I am the Eastern 2 representative for the Affiliate Relations Committee. My region includes affiliates in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and Washington DC. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] should you have any questions.  I would love to hear from you.
    Jeremy_4

Barbara, would you be willing to share your ideas that have been working in AZ to increase membership and conference attendance?  We are looking for ideas to share widely among affiliates through the Affiliate newsletter this coming year.

Thanks,

Jeremy Zelkowski

ARC Chair, Southern 2 rep