NCTM Events and COVID-19
In light of today's announcement by Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker mandating that all gatherings of 1,000 or more be cancelled immediately, the NCTM Centennial Annual Meeting & Exposition, scheduled for April 1-4, will be cancelled.
We appreciate the understanding of those who were looking forward to attending the Centennial Annual Meeting, as well as the many other participants-from local volunteers to exhibitors and vendors. This is disappointing for all of us, particularly the Program Committee which has worked tirelessly for more than two years and the many NCTM staff who have helped and supported them.
It is especially unfortunate to have to make this change of plans because in a sense the Centennial Annual Meeting was 100 years in the making. With this year's change to having the NCTM Annual Meeting in the fall, we will begin making arrangements immediately to include several of the Chicago centennial celebration plans in the Annual Meeting in St. Louis.
We hope that those who have registered will take advantage of the option of transferring your registration to the Annual Meeting in St. Louis, October 21-24, and we hope to meet you in St. Louis.
Registrants will receive an email by March 27 containing information about processing registration refunds or transferring your registration to the Annual Meeting in St. Louis, October 21-24, and we hope to meet you in St. Louis. We ask for your patience as we work through these necessary details.
All hotel reservations booked through the NCTM Housing Bureau (MCI Events) will be cancelled on your behalf and (if applicable) you will receive a refund of your deposit within 10 business days. Good news is that there is no further action on your part, you will not need to request a cancellation of your hotel reservation. Hotel reservations made directly with the hotel or another agency will have to be canceled separately. We look forward to seeing you at NCTM's 2020 Annual Meeting in St. Louis!
Can we at least have the option to transfer our registration to St. Louis. Please?
Is this event still being scheduled? Other conventions have been cancelled so just wondering.
In my part of the world, it is now 12 March. This comment is a week old. Coronavirus has now been classified as a pandemic. Is NCTM still expecting the conference to go ahead in light of this change?
When will there be an update about the conference? This seems to be a situation that changes daily, yet we haven't heard from NCTM for a week.
Thank you for being an organization that uses logic and reasoning (and math) to make their decisions, instead of making a decision out of media-driven fear.
My school system has just banned all out of state travel. Is there ANY way to get the registration fee back given the unusually difficult circumstances caused by the Coronavirus outbreak?
Would it be possible to update this page on a daily basis, even if the status does not change? It would be helpful to know that this is being update at a rate the commensurate with the release of other coronavirus information. Thanks!
Please cancel this event! With another conference in the Fall anyway, there is just no need to take the risk.
I don't think you are monitoring the covid19 situation. The CDC is not keeping up to date with the virus and recommendations, so you must trust WHO. WHO is recommending against large gatherings, and many have been cancelled in the US and around the
more» world. We also know that several of the US outbreaks occurred as a result of attending conferences. While the risk may be low to many people, we know it is high for people over 60. Do you really want to be responsible for killing our most beloved and wise mathematics educators? We could lose Nora, Zalman, Dr. Darden, Ed Silver, and hundreds from our community that are in the "older" group. Many (MANY) events at McCormick place have been cancelled. AERA is cancelled. It is time for you to preserve our community by cancelling or postponing. Do the right thing.«less
As an international traveler to this event, I'm extremely worried. When might a final decision be made as to whether or not the conference will proceed?
How soon will you know if the conference is still on? My school is not that rich and to lose deposits already made would not be good. I think you should cancel already so refunds can be issued.
I'm glad to see that NCTM is following the advice of the CDC, and I'm really excited about the upcoming meeting in Chicago. I'll be flying there and attending the whole meeting.
Why hasn't this announcement sent out to the members - or did I miss an email from you? Just wondering.