By Bill Barnes and Mona Toncheff
To build and sustain a successful mathematics program, mathematics leaders need to work collaboratively to establish a cohesive vision for teaching and learning and put that vision into action. This book details the necessary steps that mathematics leaders must take to change traditional practices; meet new curricular, instructional, and assessment challenges; and engage students, families, and community members in mathematics education.
Readers receive the benefit of detailed guidance as they set about this important work:
• Discover the big ideas and essential understandings of the four keys of effective mathematics leadership and how the four keys connect to each other.
• Answer questions to assess mathematics leadership.
• Consider scenarios that illustrate how mathematics leaders can take the visionary leadership actions described in this book.
• Explore the relationships among district-, site-, and team-level engagement.
• Appraise the necessary steps to move mathematics leadership from vision to action.
• Use appendices that present planning templates and menus of professional development opportunities.