Updated May 1, 2021
- We only use information collected through NCTM Services for NCTM purposes.
- We deploy technology to protect the information you send us.
- Cookies are used to keep track of information to allow a better user experience and this information is kept confidential within NCTM.
- We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our website.
Who We Are
Founded in 1920, The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics has served as the public voice of mathematics education for more than 100 years, supporting teachers to ensure equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for each and every student through vision, leadership, professional
development, and research. NCTM is the world’s largest organization dedicated to improving mathematics education in prekindergarten through grade 12. NCTM is committed to ongoing dialogue and constructive discussion with all stakeholders about what is best for students. The organization envisions a world where
everyone sees the value, beauty, and joy of mathematics and is empowered by the opportunities mathematics affords. For additional information about NCTM and the Services it provides, please see the
About section of our website.
Content and Applications for School-Aged Children
If you are under 13, please have your parents/guardians read this policy and approve your use of the NCTM Services. If you are under 13 and you participate in services requiring account registration, please have your teacher or parent register you for participation. When registering for an account for a Web or mobile application, we ask for a limited amount of personal information (such as your email address and an account password) to save and track your progress within the application. For NCTM Services intended primarily for school-aged children, we do not ask for names or addresses and strongly encourage use of a screen name that does not reveal any information about identity or location.
Information We Collect
We may collect the following types of personally identifiable information from you:
- Account registration. When you register to use certain parts of our Services, we may ask for personal information such as your name, email address, age, and a password.
Mailing list. When you subscribe to any of our mailing lists, we may ask for personal information such as your name and email address.
- Payment information. When you purchase a product from NCTM or donate to us, we may ask for information such as your name, email address, billing address, and credit card information. Credit card information is only used in processing your transaction. Please note that we may use third party payment processors to store this information and process your payments.
- Forums and comment threads. Any information that you disclose in these locations becomes publicly-available and may be recorded, archived, and republished by anyone.
Information from third-party sources. We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. We also may receive information about you from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
- Other information. You may choose to provide us with information when you contact us, respond to surveys, fill in forms, or use other features of our Services. We may keep a record of that information and/or correspondence.
We may also collect the following types of anonymous and non-personally identifiable information from you to better understand how our Services are used and how to improve them:
- Error reports. When you choose to send an error report in our software, it includes an anonymous unique identifier for your computer. The unique identifier does not identify you, unless you (or someone acting on your behalf) discloses it separately.
How We Collect Personal Data
We may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To register you for a Service.
- To provide you with a Service, including to enable us to fulfill our obligations under any contract with you.
- To process payments on our Services.
- To authenticate and enable access to Services and features of our websites for you.
- To contact you to respond to inquiries.
- To contact you to provide notices to you regarding your use of or the provision of our Services, or if your actions violate your agreement with us (if any).
- To provide customer service and support.
- To monitor business performance and for internal record keeping.
- To personalize our Services to you.
- To market our products or services to you.
- To administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests.
- To study how anonymous users interact with our Services.
- To find errors in and analyze performance of our Services.
- To improve existing Services and to aid the development of new products & services.
- To comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Otherwise with your consent.
We may use the information we collected to occasionally send you communications to inform you about new features, products & services, company news, solicit feedback, promotions & special offers, and other information which relates to our products or services or which we believe may be of interest to you. We may send such information by email, social networking websites, from within our websites or other Services, or any other method which becomes relevant from time to time. If you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions provided in any of the communications, modify the communications preferences in your account or contact us using the contact details provided below.
You may choose to object to the any of the above methods of processing your information. If you would like to make any such request, please write to us using the contact details provided below.
The NCTM Store and Conference Registration
NCTM websites use forms for members and other users to request information, products, and services and to register online for various programs, including conferences. We collect visitors’ contact information (such as email addresses), financial information (such as accounts or credit card numbers), and demographic information (such as zip code, age, or income level). Contact information from order forms or surveys is used to send orders and information about NCTM to our members and other customers and to analyze website use. Financial information that is collected is used to check the users' qualifications and bill the user for products and services.
Category 1 – Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, like payment services or account authorization, cannot be provided.
Category 2 – Performance cookies
These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
Category 3 – Functionality cookies
These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have to parts of web pages that you can customize. They may also be used to keep track of which notices you have already viewed to avoid repetition. The information these cookies collect will not personally identify you and cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
If you do not want cookies to be stored on your device, you can adjust the setting of your browser to reject the setting of all or some cookies, and to alert you when a new cookie is added. For further information about how to do so, please refer to your browser help documentation. Please note that if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including strictly necessary cookies) you may not be able to access or use all or parts or functionalities of our sites. If you want to remove previously-stored cookies, you can manually delete the cookies at any time. However, this will not prevent the sites from placing further cookies on your device unless you adjust your browser setting as described above. You can also visit https://www.aboutcookies.org for more information on how to manage and remove cookies across a number of different internet browsers.
Access to this information
We don’t share your personal information with anyone outside NCTM, except to provide you with services, products, to comply with the law, or to protect our rights.
Service providers. We use a variety of third party service providers to help us provide services related to our Services. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). By using our services, you consent to transferring your data to these countries and to these service providers. For example, service providers may help us:
- Process payments and/or store payment information.
- Host our Services, as well as store information collected and/or used by our Services.
- Provide customer service, communication, and marketing.
- Provide analytics services.
These providers have limited access to your information to perform these tasks on our behalf.
Other Parties. We will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any personal information you provide to us without your consent.
Accessing your information. Under EU data protection law, you have the right to request details of Personal Data which we hold about you. We will comply with your request promptly and by no later than one month from receipt of any such request. If you would like to make any such request, please write to us using the contact details provided below. If you think that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, or if you would like it to be removed, please write to us using the contact details provided below. We will correct or remove any information about you as soon as reasonably possible.
Age of consent. By using our Services, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence, or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence and you have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use these Services.
Third Party Websites
How We Protect Your Information
NCTM websites have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. We will continue to employ reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
We are committed to protecting the confidentiality of the information we collect from you. We are constantly implementing and updating security measures – including administrative, physical, and technical measures – to protect against unauthorized access, misuse, loss, modification, or exposure of your information.
Data retention. We endeavor to retain personal information only for the period necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or as required under any contract or by applicable law.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of NCTM, or your dealings with NCTM Services, you can contact us:
- By email at
- Using the online
Contact Us form.
- By phone at (800) 235-7566 or (703) 620-9840.
- By Fax at (703) 476-2970.
- By mail:
NCTM Headquarters Office
1906 Association Drive
Reston, VA 20191-1502
If you are attending an NCTM event, please view NCTM Code of Conduct and Health and Safety Policies.