Instruction Work for Them and Work for You
March 29, 2023, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
This day-long session will focus on differentiation in K–8 mathematics. We will talk about the why but spend most of our time together on the how. Participants will walk away with many ready-to-use approaches, activities, questions, problems, and tasks.
Issues to be addressed will include the following:
- The value of maintaining a class community
- The value of and need to focus on bigger ideas to manageably meet student needs
- The use of appropriate diagnostics to determine differentiation needs
- The importance of differentiation in instruction and not just follow-up
- Exploring, with many specific examples, manageable strategies for differentiation, including the use of open questions and parallel instructional tasks with common questions