Now in its Third Edition—expanded with over 100 new tasks and questions—this bestselling resource helps experienced and novice teachers to effectively and efficiently differentiate mathematics instruction in grades K–8. Math education expert Marian Small shows teachers how to get started and become expert at using two powerful and universal strategies: Open Questions and Parallel Tasks. This volume includes key changes that will make it easier for teachers to use in all quality state standards environments, including direct links to Common Core content standards and standards for mathematical practice. Classroom examples, many new for this edition, are provided at each grade band: K–2, 3–5 and 6–8. Along with each example, the text describes how teachers can evoke productive conversations that meet the needs of a broad range of learners.
• Chapters organized around Common Core headings.
• Continued attention to big ideas in math.
• Many new questions that teachers can adapt or use as is.
• Teaching tips and task variations.
• A template to help users build new tasks.
• Guidance for using follow-up questions to create a rich math classroom.