Characteristics of Students Clip
What are the characteristics of students with learning difficulties in mathematics?
Students who struggle with mathematics learning regardless of their motivation, past instruction, and mathematical knowledge prior to starting school:
- demonstrate slow or inaccurate recall of basic arithmetic facts;
- answer problems impulsively, without inhibition;
- have difficulty representing mathematical concepts mentally;
- have poorly developed number sense; and
- have difficulty keeping information in their working memory.
Research supporting this clip is available in the Characteristics of Students with Difficulties Brief.
This is available to members of NCTM. Please log in now to view this content. If you are interested in a NCTM membership join now.